The island is located in the northwestern part of the lake very close to Amphithea settlement. It has an area of 200 acres and a maximum altitude of 520 meters above sea level or 59 meters above the surface of the lake. Its maximum length is 800 meters and the width of 500 meters. Its western side is marshy and the rest of it is rocky and wooded for the most part.
The settlement was built in the 17th century. At the time of Ali Pasha the island declined due to high taxation. During that time the monasteries were almost abandoned. In 1820 Ali opposed the Sultan & nbsp; Mahmoud B & nbsp; and as a result Hurriche Mehmet Pasha was sent against him, who in turn besieged Ioannina. Ali had stationed on the island, a guard of a thousand Albanians, and the island was bombed by Hurssit causing great disasters. In January 1822, Ali was wounded and fled to the island at the monastery of Agios Panteleimonas, which he had turned into hos country house where he was assassinated in 1822.Take a Tour